Saturday, December 1, 2012

Pumpkin Cranberry Chocolate Muffins and a Bread Pudding


This week I made muffins, and then I made bread pudding!  Both hit the spot, but the bread pudding was the clear winner, and felt like such a big warm treat for a cold night.  My boyfriend hates bread pudding, but I think I've almost pulled him over to the other side.  He still isn't devouring it the way he does with chocolate chip cookies, but I really think that's fine, because there's more for me! I love bread pudding... and I can't understand not loving bread pudding.  It's rich, moist, and addictive.  This bread pudding has a spike of rum and a sprinkle of cranberries, which really makes it feel like it's ready for Christmas. I almost wish I could send it over to my dad in Los Angeles, because, like me, he loves bread pudding.  The last time I made it, I brought him a taste when we went for coffee, and the whole time my dad interrupted me saying, "This is really good. I'm serious. mmm. This is really really good."







Pumpkin Cranberry Chocolate Muffin Scones

3 c. flour
1 1/2 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/4 baked pumpkin (about 1 c.)
1 1/2 c. cranberries
1/2 c. dark chocolate


Mix the dry ingredients and combine eggs with milk and pumpkin.  Fold the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix until smooth.  Add the cranberries and chocolate until well combined.  Line muffin tins and bake at 400 degrees until golden (about 20 minutes).

I made these muffins and they really hit the spot. I made them into a last minute dessert by using them in bread pudding! I love bread pudding, and it seems to be the most versatile, easiest thing to make in the winter.

Pumpkin Cranberry Chocolate Rum Bread Pudding with Sour Cream frosting phew

1 recipe cranberry muffins 
2-3 c. cubed bread*
3 eggs
1 can evaporated milk
few splashes of rum
1/2 c. butter**
1/2 c. sugar

2-3 c. icing sugar
1/2 c. butter**
3-4 tbsp sour cream

Crumble the muffins into small pieces and add them to a buttered pan with the rest of the cubed bread.  In another bowl, mix the butter, rum, milk, sugar, and eggs.  Add the mixture to the bread and bake at 350 degrees until a set (about 45 minutes).

While the pudding cools, mix the butter, icing sugar, and sour cream until creamy.  Add more sugar to make the icing thicker, or sour cream to make it smoother. 

*I used 2 english muffins and a bagel.  It turned out delicious!
**Coconut butter or earth balance works well too!

No comments:

Post a Comment